Faculty from both SAIC and schools around the globe are encouraged to submit course proposals to teach at Ox-Bow for the summer and winter.
We accept course proposals on a rolling basis. We are currently accepting proposals for the January 2018 Winter Interim Session and for the 2018 Summer Session. All proposals are due by May 1st. You will hear back from us about your course no later than October 2017.
WINTER INTERIM SESSION, January 2018, 2 weeks
Proposals for the Winter Interim Session should be for 2 week/3 credit courses only. During the winter session, courses that are most successful engage the landscape and the winter weather. Ox-Bow has limited studio facilities available. Studios available for use are:
- the Lutz, a group studio house available with 4 individual studio spaces
- the Haas Painting studio, which can accommodate up to 18 students (and can be used for courses other than painting)
- the Krehbiel Ceramics studio, which can accommodate up 12 students
- the Print studio, with Screenprinting, Etching, Lithography capacity, accommodates 12
- New Media Space, accommodates 12
SUMMER SESSION, June - August, 2018
Proposals for the 2018 Summer Session can be for either 1 week/1 credit courses or 2 week/3 credit courses. Ox-Bow has 6 main studio areas-- painting and drawing, ceramics, papermaking, printmaking, metals, and glass, but will consider proposals in a variety of disciplines, including sound, fiber, performance, sculpture, art history, photo, film, new media, writing, visual and critical studies, and interdisciplinary areas.
To propose a course you will need the following information:
- Faculty Name, email, phone number, website if available
- CV, or Resume
- Course Name
- Session for which you are proposing
- Length of course
- Course Description (approximately 100 words, for examples, please see examples)
- Budget/Space/Equipment Information Ox-Bow has limited technological resources; please submit a list of equipment needed for your course (if outside of standard equipment) and plans on how you might address those needs.
- Not required but recommended—documentation of faculty and student work, may be in the following formats: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf, jpg, gif, mp3, mp4, tiff, png, mov. If this is included, please note that the program will automatically alphabetize your files so please name them accordingly. Please provide a documentation list which indicates the artist (Self or Student), title if known, media, etc.
The Fellowship Program, funded by the LeRoy Neiman Foundation, is one of Ox-Bow's most sought after and rewarding programs. Students who
- are undergraduate upperclassmen in their junior/senior year or MFA students
- will graduate December 2016 or later
- are at least 21 years old at the start of the fellowship
are eligible to spend 13 summer weeks at Ox-Bow, integrating into the community and benefiting from the time and space to work while surrounded by prestigious faculty from all over the country. It is a rich experience that fosters growth and productivity like no other opportunity. Please note, if you apply for the fellowship program, your application will automatically be included in the Ox-Bow summer course merit scholarship review. You do not need to fill out an additional application.
Application deadline: Tuesday, October 25, Midnight CST
This winter, Ox-Bow will award a limited number of partial merit scholarships.
- All students are eligible to apply.
- Ox-Bow winter courses must be taken for credit.
- Students will be notified about scholarship awards on Monday, November 7th and are able to register early for their chosen courses online until 3pm on Friday, November 11th.
- Ox-Bow also offers work scholarships that are given out at the time of in-person registration on a first come, first served basis. In-person registration begins Monday, November 14, at 8:30 AM in the Ox-Bow Office: Room 1425 of the Sullivan Center, 36 S Wabash Ave.
- Undergraduate and Graduate students from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago may be able to use their financial aid award from SAIC toward credit tuition for courses at Ox-Bow. Please contact the SAIC Financial Aid Office for deadlines. SAIC Financial aid typically does not cover room & board or lab fees at Ox-Bow. Learn more about applying at the School's Office of Financial Aid, by calling 312.629.6600, or by emailing FinAid@saic.edu.
If you are registering to use Submittable for the first time, please use an email account you check regularly. Ox-Bow will automatically use this email account as the primary means of contacting you. Thank you.