Ox-Bow, School of Art and Artists’ Residency
Position Title: Campus Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Saugatuck, MI
Position Status: Regular, Full Time, Exempt
The Campus Director is responsible for overseeing Ox-Bow’s campus operations, including: housing, campus orientations, housekeeping, grounds and maintenance and the Ox-Bow Kitchen. The Campus Director position, rooted in hospitality, requires flexibility, the ability to work well and remain calm under pressure. The Campus Director works collaboratively with the Program Director, Academic Director and Development Director to support programs and fundraising efforts through smooth campus operations. The Campus Director resides at Ox-Bow during any and all overnight programming, including winter session, campus rentals, the core summer season and during the fall Artist and Writer’s Residency. During our shoulder seasons, the Campus Director is expected to live in the local commuting area, which extends 45-50 miles from Saugatuck.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
● Participates in the collective Ox-Bow vision and communicates that vision to staff on campus.
● Provides leadership to staff and students in developing an inclusive community environment based upon the recognition of student rights and academic goals to foster learning and growth.
● Serves as the primary manager of all crisis and conduct matters for residential life on campus. Delegates cases to the Academic Director in classroom mediation, including (involving) students and faculty.
● Serves as a Title IX investigator.
● Supervises the following positions: Head Chef, Facilities Manager, Head of Housekeeping, Campus Office Assistant, and the Volunteer Coordinator.
● Occasional travel may be required, not limited to conferences and visits to Chicago office.
● Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
● Manages campus housing
● Respond to student behavior that is inappropriate and in violation of campus policies and procedures, such as behavior which endangers the health and safety of residents and behavior which results in damage to property.
● Act as a mediator in conflict situations when needed (i.e. roommate conflicts, staff conflicts, artists-in-residence, noise disruptions, etc.).
● Develop and facilitates an all-campus orientation.
● Maintains health resources for students and guests; responds to any concerns as necessary.
Facilities and Operations
● Maintains the Campus budget; budget oversight; and, provides input from campus operations, facilities and kitchen for budget development.
● Manages campus opening and closing procedures
● Provides meal counts to kitchen for academic sessions.
● Coordination of meals for campus rentals and special event catering.
● Overseeing campus turnover and general janitorial services
● Oversees and works closely with the Facilities Manager to maintain buildings, grounds, and environmental stewardship
● Coordinates Friday Night Open Studios and other campus events as determined by the Executive Director
● Oversees Campus store
● Manages Campus art collection and archives
Special Knowledge and Qualifications
● Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
● Ability to lead, motivate and direct reports.
● Ability to communicate with all levels of staff and participants; customer-oriented.
● Must demonstrate ability for independent decision-making, judgment, and discretion in responding to problems on campus and when responding to duty/crisis calls.
● Proficient with Excel, Microsoft Office Suite, and the Google suite of products.
● Experience in arts, non-profit or educational administration or hospitality management or demonstrated operational excellence.
● Highly organized and motivated.
● Artist or knowledge of and passion for contemporary art preferred.
● Facilitate off-season public programs on campus.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Ox-Bow is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for its students, visitors, faculty, and staff, and to ensuring that educational and employment decisions are based on an individual’s abilities and qualifications. Ox-Bow does not tolerate unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or former military status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law, in its programs and activities, public accommodations or employment practices.
Please submit a cover letter and CV. Please save files as PDFs.